Yesterday, the Allahabad High Court launched a website for its middle-income group legal aid Society, to provide online information concerning legal aid, advice and assistance to all those who belong to the middle-income group.
The website (http://allahabadhighcourt.in/mig/index.html) was launched by the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court. The society comprises of Justice Yashwant Verma as the President of the society, followed by Shri Raghavendra Singh, Advocate General, Vice President of the society, along with other members of the society.
As per the website, the objectives of the legal society are as follows:
- To provide legal advice and opinion on all criminal, civil, corporate and revenue matters to beneficiaries and to enable them to obtained legal representation and access.
- To provide counselling on legal remedies and avenues available for legal redress.
- To file in different cases before the Allahabad High Court, right from preparing the draft, complying with the procedural requirements and providing representation before the High Court
- Assist and advise in pursuing arbitration, mediation and conciliation before the High Court
- Provide remote legal services
Eligibility for availing the benefit of the scheme of the High Court is that the gross total income of the desirous individual should be between 6,00,000 to 12,00,000 per annum.
The website gives a detailed procedure of obtaining the benefit of the scheme. It provides that on receipt of required papers outlining the legal issue faced by the beneficiary, the same shall be addressed expeditiously and an initial response indicating the decision of the society shall be communicated to the beneficiary within 15 days of receipt of the Application.
After that, the beneficiary shall be informed about the steps to be taken and also the day time and place for interaction with the lawyer assigned. In case the society from the opinion that the matter does not fit to be persuaded, the Applicant shall also be informed about the same within 15 days of receipt of the Application. The advisory work of the society shall be free of cost, except where the matter is to be pursued before the High Court of the mediation cancellation centre of the High Court.
The honorarium payable to lawyers has been at Rs. 25,000, Which shall cover conferences, drafting, the assistance of senior advocates, and filing.