Important cases heard in the Supreme Court on Wednesday, March 1
* Jailed former Samajwadi Party MP and gangster Atiq Ahmed moved SC for protection, claiming that he and his family have been falsely “roped in” as accused in the Umesh Pal murder case in Prayagraj and he may be killed in a fake encounter by the Uttar Pradesh Police.
* Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde could not have been sworn as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra if the assembly speaker was not restrained from deciding the disqualification petitions pending against 39 MLAs, the Supreme Court on Wednesday said.
* SC agreed to hear on March 3 an appeal of the Tamil Nadu government against the Madras High Court order permitting the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) to take out a march in the state.
Join LAW TREND WhatsAPP Group for Legal News Updates-Click to Join
* SC refused an urgent hearing to a PIL challenging the internet shutdown in some districts of Rajasthan to curb cheating in competitive examinations.
* SC is likely to consider on Thursday as many as five petitions seeking review of its verdict acquitting three death row convicts in the gangrape and murder case of a 19-year-old girl in Chhawla area here in 2012.
* SC rejected the bail of Anand Giri, who was arrested for allegedly abetting the suicide of his guru and Akhil Bhartiya Akhara Parishad president Narendra Giri.
* Extra-judicial confession is a weak piece of evidence which requires strong evidence to corroborate it, SC said while acquitting a man in a 2007 murder case.