Important cases heard in the Supreme Court on Thursday, April 6:
* SC asked the Finance Ministry to file its response in three weeks to a PIL seeking directions to create a centralised database providing information about bank accounts, insurance, deposits, post office funds lying in accounts held by those who are no longer alive.
* SC closed activist Tushar Gandhi’s contempt plea against the Delhi Police after taking note of submissions that a charge sheet in a case of hate speeches made at religious assemblies in the national capital in 2021 was filed in a court here.
* SC said a lawyer accused of spreading false information about attacks on migrant labourers from Bihar in Tamil Nadu should be “more responsible” and asked him to tender an apology.
* SC dismissed an appeal filed by BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari challenging an order of the Calcutta High Court declining to interfere with the West Bengal panchayat poll process.
* SC ordered the four judicial members of the Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal (CESTAT), who were due to retire this year, will remain in service till it decides pleas challenging provisions of the Tribunals Reforms Act, 2021, terming their superannuation “fully unjust”.
* SC will hear on April 14 a plea filed by the AAP government against the Delhi Lieutenant Governor’s approval with riders to send teachers to Finland for training.
* SC said it will hear on April 10 a plea filed by a YouTuber, arrested for allegedly spreading fake videos on Bihar migrant labourers being attacked in Tamil Nadu, seeking clubbing of FIRs lodged against him.