In another twist to the TRP manipulation case, Mumbai Police has clais that there is ample evidence to prove that Editor in chief of Republic TT Mr Arnab Goswami paid kickback worth lakhs to a senior official of Broadcast Audience Research Council Mr Partho Dasgupta for manipulating TRP of Republic Bharat(Hindi) and republic TV (English) news channels.
The Police claims that in their investigation, they found evidence which suggested that Goswami has paid lakhs to Dasgupta for helping him to manipulate the Television Rating Points(TRPs)
The application says that Police recovered gold and other precious items from Das Gupta’s residence. Police believes that the items were purchased from the kickback that he received from Arnab Goswami.
Mumbai Police’s case against Mr Partho Das Gupta:-
- Police Alleges that Dasgupta used his senior position in BARC to allegedly manipulate TRPs and help certain TV channels( Republic Bharat and Republic TV in this instance).
- As per the Police, Dasgupta manipulate TRP figures of Times Now news channel (one of the most-watched news channels) to increase Republic channels’ TRP ratings.
- Also Das Gupta used his knowledge and power to falsely decrease some channels’ ratings while increasing the ratings of some other channels.
Police have made several high profile arrests in the case, but all the accused have been released bail. Amongst those arrested. Following are the people who were by the Police
- Mr Amit Dave(owner of Mahamovies)
- Vikas Kanchandani( CEO of Republic TV)
- Mr Ghanshayam Singh( Assistant VP of Distribution at Republic TV)
- Shirish Pattanshetty Co-Promoter of Fakht Media
COO of Republic TV Ms Priya Mukherjee secured pre-arrest bail from Karnataka High Court and Mumbai Sessions Court.
The Police also arrested former COO of BARC Romil Ramgarhia but CMM, Esplanade granted him bail on 24th December