Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response on Widow’s Plea to Bring Son’s Mortal Remains from Dubai

The Supreme Court on Friday issued notice to the Centre and other authorities on a plea filed by a widow seeking assistance to bring back the mortal remains of her son, who died in Dubai in December last year so that she can perform his last rites.

A bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta took up the matter and posted it for further hearing on March 16.

Mother Says She Learned of Death Through Embassy Call

Appearing for the petitioner, counsel told the court that the woman’s son had travelled to Dubai to work as a labourer and that she was informed of his death by the Indian embassy. The mother, who is a widow, has no relatives or contacts in Dubai who could help with the repatriation of the body.

The bench asked whether the family knew anyone in Dubai who could facilitate bringing the remains back, to which the counsel replied in the negative.

Court Questions Lack of Details on Death

During the hearing, the judges noted that the plea did not contain specific details about the death.

READ ALSO  SC Refuses to Stay Conviction of SP Leader Abdullah Azam Khan in Criminal Case, Seeks UP Govt’s Reply

“You have not given any details as to when did the death happen. How did he die? What happened there? You have just mentioned that there was a phone call on February 4 and you came to know,” the bench observed.

The petitioner’s counsel clarified that the death had occurred on December 4 last year, but the mother received information only on February 4 through a phone call. The counsel also stated that the family had not been given any further details about the cause or circumstances of death.

READ ALSO  एमसीडी में मेयर पद के चुनाव की आप की याचिका पर बुधवार को सुनवाई करेगा सुप्रीम कोर्ट

When the court asked how the man had died, the counsel submitted that the petitioner had no information beyond the embassy’s communication.

Notice Issued; Matter Listed for March 16

Taking note of the submissions, the bench issued notice to the Centre and other concerned authorities seeking their response on the plea, which requests assistance in bringing the mortal remains to India so the mother can perform the last rites.

The case will now be heard on March 16.

READ ALSO  SC Takes Suo Motu Cognizance of Killing of the Jharkhand Judge
Ad 20- WhatsApp Banner

Law Trend
Law Trendhttps://lawtrend.in/
Legal News Website Providing Latest Judgments of Supreme Court and High Court

Related Articles

Latest Articles