Important cases heard by the Supreme Court on Wednesday, July 5:
* SC extended interim protection from arrest till July 19 to activist Teesta Setalvad in a case linked to the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
* SC sought response of the Centre on a PIL seeking directions for filling up vacancies in the Central Government Industrial Tribunal-cum-Labour Courts (CGIT-cum-LCs).
* SC agreed to examine a plea filed by the CBI challenging the interim bail to Videocon Group founder Venugopal Dhoot in the Videocon-ICICI Bank loan fraud case.
* SC sought responses from the Centre and others, including the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), on a plea arising out of a verdict of the Madras High Court that had upheld the right and primacy of University Grants Commission (UGC) to impose regulations for conduct of distance education programmes.
* SC judges Justices AS Bopanna and MM Sundresh recused themselves from hearing a case related to the dispute between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu over sharing of water of the Pennaiyar river on the ground that they hailed from these two states respectively.
* SC refused to interfere with the bail granted to former Punjab MLA and Lok Insaaf Party (LIP) leader Simarjit Singh Bains in an alleged rape and sexual harassment case.
* SC issued notices on a plea by the Bar Council of India seeking transfer to the top court of the cases pending in various high courts challenging alleged exorbitant fees being charged by state bar councils for enrolling law graduates as lawyers.
* SC refused to entertain a PIL seeking reliefs including protecting elephant corridors by notifying them as national park in Kerala to lessen the human-elephant conflicts (HEC) and bringing a rice-eating tusker, ‘Arikkomban’, back to its natural habitat at Chinnakanal in the state.