Important cases heard by the Supreme Court on Friday, July 21:
* SC sought responses from BJP MLA Purnesh Modi and the Gujarat government on Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s appeal challenging a high court order refusing to stay his conviction in a defamation case over his “Modi surname” remark.
* The presence of jailed Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik, serving life term in Tihar jail, in a packed courtroom without any permission created a buzz in the SC.
* SC sought a response from the Enforcement Directorate on the pleas of Tamil Nadu Minister V Senthil Balaji and his wife Megala challenging a July 14 order of the Madras High Court upholding his arrest by the agency in a money laundering case.
* SC directed the registrar general of the Allahabad High Court to furnish details of suits related to the Sri Krishna Janmabhoomi-Shahi Idgah dispute.
* SC dismissed a PIL seeking revocation of the film certificate of the controversial movie “Adipurush”, saying cinematic representation may not be an exact replica of text.
* SC stayed proceedings pending in various high courts against the controversial movie “Adipurush”.
* SC sought a response from the Centre on a plea of RTI activist and independent Assam MLA Akhil Gogoi challenging the invocation of the penal provision of sedition against him in a case related to anti-Citizenship Amendment Act protests.
* SC refused to entertain a PIL seeking a direction to the Centre to include Rajasthani language in the list of official languages by inserting it in the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution, saying the issue falls under the policy domain of the executive.
* SC refused to entertain an appeal of BJP leader Suvendu Adhikari challenging a Calcutta High Court order dismissing his contempt plea against the West Bengal DGP and other police officials.