Woman Approaches Court Seeking Refund of Money Borrowed by Man Who met her on a Matrimonial Website

A woman has allegedly been cheated by a man who she met on a matrimonial website. The man allegedly borrowed money from the woman and refused to return it.

The woman filed a recovery suit against the man and got a favourable order from a Delhi Court. She had borrowed money from a bank to give to the man.



Civil Judge Gagandeep Jindal ordered the man to pay the woman 1.94 lac along with pendente lite future internet of 9% p.a from the date of filing the case.

The woman met the man on a matrimonial website in December 2019. The conversations began on Whatsapp, which progressed to phone calls, and the woman indicated that she wants to marry the man.

On 3rd January 2020, the man informed the woman that he was facing financial issues and owed Rs 1.7 lakh to his flatmates.

The woman took out a loan of 2 lakh and transferred the money to the man through UPI. Then on 30th January, the man told the woman that he met with an accident and borrowed another 5000.

When the woman paid the first EMI, she reminded the man of the loan, who assured her that he would transfer the EMI. She paid Rs 3838 as a phone bill.

Also Read

Due to the man’s conduct, the woman sought counselling and paid Rs 10000 for the same.

When the woman asked for the money again, the man transferred one lakh in four instalments. As she did not get the remaining money, she sent a legal notice to the man on 16th December 2020.

She filed a case, and a court granted a decree in her favour.

As per the Court, the woman claimed one lac for mental trauma, but the Bench opined that a person couldn’t be mentally harassed just due to recovery of some money.

Accordingly, the Court ruled that the woman was not entitled to recover money towards counselling and litigation. However, the Court held that justice would be served if the woman gets 9% pendente lite interest and ordered the same.

Law Trendhttps://lawtrend.in/
Legal News Website Providing Latest Judgments of Supreme Court and High Court

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles