Important cases heard in the Supreme Court on Wednesday, March 15:
* Calling for a trust vote merely on the ground of differences between MLAs of a ruling party can topple an elected government, the SC observed, adding the governor of a state cannot lend his office to effectuate a particular result.
* SC agreed to hear on March 24 a plea by K Kavitha, Bharat Rashtra Samithi leader and daughter of Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao, seeking protection from arrest and challenging the summons by the Enforcement Directorate in a money laundering case arising out of the alleged Delhi excise policy scam.
Join LAW TREND WhatsAPP Group for Legal News Updates-Click to Join
* SC said it will hear on March 17 the plea of Chandigarh administration challenging an order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court to register an FIR and set up an SIT to probe the alleged abduction of a dentist by UT police personnel to prevent him from appearing in a court.
* SC commenced hearing arguments on whether its 2017 verdict laying down guidelines for itself and high courts governing the exercise of designating lawyers as senior advocates require any tweaking.
* SC quashed criminal proceedings against a doctor accused of stocking medicines for sale, saying the “extremely small” quantity of medicines which was seized can easily be found in the house or consultation room of a medical practitioner.