Important cases heard by the Supreme Court on Wednesday, May 10:
* SC, hearing a clutch of pleas seeking legal validation for same-sex marriage, Wednesday said that an individual in a same-sex relationship is not precluded from adopting a child under the law which permits so irrespective of the marital status of the person.
* SC dismissed an application seeking the recusal of Chief Justice of India D Y Chandrachud from hearing the pleas relating to legal validation for same-sex marriages.
* Centre told SC that possibility of a declaration by the apex court on pleas seeking legal validation for same-sex marriage may not be a “correct course of action” as the court would not be able to foresee, envisage, comprehend and thereafter deal with the fall out of that constitutional declaration.
* SC agreed to hear on May 12 a plea by the producers of controversial multilingual film ‘The Kerala Story’ against the West Bengal government’s ban on screening of the movie after the makers said they are “losing money everyday”.
* SC dismissed a plea by sacked IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt to submit additional evidence to support his appeal in the Gujarat High Court against his conviction in a 1990 custodial death case.
* SC will hear on May 12 the pleas on the Adani-Hindenburg row in which it had on March 2 asked market regulator SEBI to probe within two months allegations of stock price manipulation by the Adani group and lapses in regulatory disclosure.
* All recruitment to the Army Dental Corps (ADC) will henceforth be gender neutral and there will be no separate quotas for males and females, the government has told SC.
* SC collegium headed by Chief Justice DY Chandrachud has recommended 51-year-old advocate Arun Kumar’s appointment as a judge of the Allahabad High Court.