Important cases heard in the Delhi High Court on Tuesday, February 7:
* HC granted four more weeks to the Centre to file response on a petition by academic Ashok Swain against the cancellation of his Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card.
* The city police moved the HC challenging a trial court’s order discharging 11 people, including student activists Sharjeel Imam and Asif Iqbal Tanha, in the 2019 Jamia Nagar violence case.
* HC sought the Centre’s stand on a petition against solitary confinement of prison inmates.
* HC has upheld the six-year jail term awarded to a Muslim cleric for sexually assaulting a six-year-old girl, saying great faith and trust is reposed in a ‘maulvi’ who teaches others the tenets of holy Quran and is looked up to with reverence.
* HC posted the bail plea of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student Sharjeel Imam in a UAPA case related to an alleged conspiracy behind the 2020 riots here to March 15.
Join LAW TREND WhatsAPP Group for Legal News Updates-Click to Join
* HC ruled that conducting a “virginity test” on a female accused is unconstitutional, sexist and in violation of the right to dignity.
* HC judge recused from hearing a plea by businessman Vijay Nair, an accused in the Delhi excise policy case, in which he has alleged that sensitive information was being leaked to the media by the investigating agencies.
* Issues related to the sinking of Joshimath are being looked into by the high court in Uttarakhand following an order of the Supreme Court, the Delhi HC was informed.
* Congress leader Shashi Tharoor opposed in the HC a plea by the police for the condonation of delay in filing a revision petition challenging the discharge of the politician in connection with his wife Sunanda Pushkar’s death case.
* HC asked the Enforcement Directorate to file before it the roles assigned to jailed AAP minister Satyendar Jain and two others, who are seeking bail in a money laundering case.