Delhi HC Grants Centre 3–4 Weeks to Pursue Diplomatic Efforts in Major Vikrant Jaitly Detention Case

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday granted three to four weeks to the Centre and the Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi to pursue diplomatic channels and seek cooperation from UAE authorities regarding the detention of Major Vikrant Jaitly (retd), brother of actor Celina Jaitly.

Justice Purushaindra Kumar Kaurav deferred the hearing after the Union government submitted that consular access to Vikrant Jaitly was sought on February 13 but was denied by the UAE, and a fresh date for such access was awaited.

“The prayer seems to be reasonable. Accordingly, the hearing is deferred,” the court said, adding that the Ministry of External Affairs required time to take “something substantial” forward through diplomatic engagement.

The Centre’s counsel told the court that the Indian Embassy was actively pursuing the matter with UAE authorities and requested 3–4 weeks to secure cooperation, including consular access and facilitation of legal representation.

The court accepted the request, observing that the Ministry could not be said to be inactive and that a short adjournment would enable meaningful progress.

READ ALSO  Attempt To Scandalize Or Lower Authority Of A Court Falls Under Definition Of ‘Criminal Contempt': Madhya Pradesh HC

The government also informed the court that efforts were underway to facilitate an interaction between Vikrant Jaitly and the court and to address his concern regarding engagement of a Dubai-based law firm, as suggested by his sister.

The court was hearing a petition filed by Celina Jaitly seeking effective legal representation and intervention for her brother, whom she alleged had been “illegally abducted and detained” in the UAE since September 6, 2024.

The plea alleged that despite the passage of over a year, the Ministry of External Affairs had failed to secure basic information regarding his legal status and condition.

According to the petition, Vikrant Jaitly has been residing in the UAE since 2016 and was employed with the MATITI Group, engaged in trading, consultancy and risk management services.

READ ALSO  दिल्ली हाईकोर्ट का आदेश: बारापुला ड्रेन से अतिक्रमण हटाने के लिए 1 जून से मद्रासी कैंप का ध्वस्तीकरण शुरू किया जाए

During the hearing, the Centre submitted that Indian authorities were in regular contact with Vikrant Jaitly and that he had declined to interact with his sister.

Vikrant Jaitly’s wife sought to be impleaded as a party to the proceedings to respond to allegations made by her sister-in-law and placed a note before the court containing material relevant to the case. The court permitted the petitioner to respond to the note.

Justice Kaurav clarified that the proceedings would not be converted into a family dispute.

The matter has been listed for further hearing in March, by which time the Centre is expected to place on record the outcome of its diplomatic efforts, including any progress on consular access, legal representation, and communication with Vikrant Jaitly.

READ ALSO  CJI Chandrachud, Judges Cool Down over Hot Coffee
Ad 20- WhatsApp Banner

Law Trend
Law Trendhttps://lawtrend.in/
Legal News Website Providing Latest Judgments of Supreme Court and High Court

Related Articles

Latest Articles