Important cases heard by the Supreme Court on Friday, December 8:
* Judges are not expected to express their personal views or preach, the SC remarked, strongly criticising a Calcutta High Court judgement which advised young girls to “control sexual urges” and adolescent boys to train themselves to respect women.
* SC sought a response from Delhi lieutenant governor’s office and others on a plea filed by the AAP government seeking release of funds for its ‘Farishtey Dilli Ke’ scheme providing free treatment to accident victims.
* SC dismissed a petition seeking a direction to fix the limit of expenses by political parties and candidates in elections, saying these are matters of legislative policy.
* SC granted bail to liquor giant Pernod Ricard’s executive Benoy Babu in a money laundering case arising out of the Delhi excise policy scam.
* SC refused to entertain former ICICI bank managing director and CEO Chanda Kochhar’s plea seeking retirement benefits from the bank.
* Chief Justice of India D Y Chandrachud said that as a judge, he is a “servant” of the law and the Constitution and has to follow the position that has been laid down.